Kombucha Brewers International
Code of Ethics
This Code of Ethics (“Code”) of the Kombucha Brewers International Trade Association (“KBI”) is a statement of the Association’s common values and of our common commitment to promote the highest possible standards of professional business conduct for the mutual benefit of the industry and for the ultimate benefit of the consumer.
KBI’s goal, by adopting and enforcing this Code, is to maintain and enhance the reputation of our Association and of our Members within the industry and to foster an environment in which our Members deal with one another and their customers fairly and equitably and with mutual confidence and trust.
In enforcing this Code, the KBI will consider only valid, substantive complaints from an active Member, and will submit those complaints for resolution per the Complaints Procedure detailed below.
As KBI Members, we have responsibility to the kombucha industry and, in particular, to our customers, personnel and the Association. We hereby agree to:
- Adhere to truth in advertising and in all representations to the public concerning the kombucha we manufacture, distribute and/or sell. Commit to the development and use of the highest standards and practices for the marketing and sale of kombucha.
- Avoid any unfair or deceptive practice and always present our products and services in an honest and forthright manner.
- Be responsive to and available for customers before, during and after the sale.
- Maintain the highest standards of business conduct by utilizing only legal and ethical means in all business activity.
- Be fair, equitable and respectful to employer(s), employees, associates, competitors, customers, the public, and all business or professional relationships. Treat all customers and suppliers honestly, fairly and objectively.
- Observe all applicable state, federal, foreign or international laws and regulations pertaining to the production, processing, labeling, handling, importing, distributing, promoting and selling of kombucha.
- Provide a safe working environment.
- Restrict employment to those ages/job positions mandated either by the requirements of the Fair Labor Standards Act , or state or local minimum employment ages; and, in the case of overseas facilities, to International Labor Organization standards.
- Avoid knowingly dealing with those who use any forced labor, whether in the form of prison labor, indentured labor, bonded labor or otherwise exploitative working conditions.
- Refrain from discriminatory practices in dealing with our employees, providers and customers.
- Comply in good faith with contractual obligations.
- Maintain adequate commercial general and product liability insurance,
- Conduct business in our countries of operation in accordance with any applicable trade restrictions, export controls or anti-boycott laws and regulations imposed by such countries.
- Avoid agreeing, in any contracts or other documents, to any boycott terms, conditions or language that would violate any U.S. federal or state law or International laws or regulations.
- Never pay any bribe, kickback or other corrupt payment in any form directly or indirectly to or for anyone for the purpose of obtaining or retaining business or obtaining any other favorable action, nor offer or extend any gift or entertainment that is illegal, known to be in violation of the rules of the recipient’s organization, or likely to result in a feeling or expectation of personal obligation on the part of the recipient.
- Avoid engaging in frivolous lawsuits intended to harm competitors.
- Actively promote and encourage the highest level of integrity within the kombucha beverage industry.
- Cooperate in every reasonable and proper way with other Association Members and work with them toward the advancement of the kombucha industry.
- Respect the rights of others concerning their intellectual property such as patents, copyrights, trademarks and trade secrets and, if any innocent breach occurs, promptly address and rectify any such breach.
- Comply with all laws that prohibit restraints of trade, predatory economic activities and unfair or unethical business practices.
- Comply with all applicable antitrust and other laws regarding agreements with competitors to: fix prices or other sales terms; divide or assign sales territories, customers or product lines; or coordinate bids and agreements with customers to fix their resale prices.
- Recognize that other Members will compete for business within lawful, reasonable and customary practice.
- Never engage in any legally improper communication or agreements with competitors.
- Never comment on a competitor’s product without a good faith basis or need for such statements. Never make false statements about competitors.
- Support the Association by taking an active role in KBI activities and promoting the Association to the food and beverage industry at large.
- Represent KBI, its positions, policies and fellow Members in a positive, constructive and professional manner.
- Act in a manner consistent with, and make every effort to uphold this code of ethics.
This Code of Ethics does not set forth all aspects of good conduct and ethical behavior. Acceptance of, and adherence to this Code is a condition of membership.
Voted in by KBI Board of Directors 2.1.23